Sunday, October 24, 2010

Side Distraction

As a side distraction, I am working on a home-variant of Legends of the Old West (LotOW) that zeroes in on the French Foreign Legion's escapades in the North African desert. I think it is working well, and I hope to play it before the end of the year. I'd love to even build a Fort Zinderneuf too!

Here are a couple of photos of some of the non-Legion troops I have painted.


The basic Foreign Legion "posse" would be formed from Hero Types: "Capitaine" and "Sergent" while the bulk of the "Henchmen" would consist of "Legionnaire" and "Legionnaire 2e Classe". Similar to the "Hired Guns" from the rules, you can add these types, as "Auxiliary Henchmen" to your posse in limited numbers: "Zouave", "Chasseur d’Afrique", "Tirailleur", "Spahi" and "Les Joyeux".


I would like to also explore the possibilities of creating posse lists for several of the "Auxiliary Henchmen" types.

However, right now this project is at a bit of an impasse as I wrestle with the concept of using LotOW's "Alamo" supplement's army lists as the basis. While I do think that would be better suited, I like the idea of smaller unit focus found in basic LotOW. I feel that my resistance to the Alamo is unnatural at the moment and need the time to sort it out. Luckily, work is busy and I am spending the vast majority of my spare time learning a new technology in hopes of landing a contract in that technology...so, I have time to let this percolate in the back of my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I am really looking forward to seeing where you go with this. I would like to make use of my FFL figs and I love the period. I love the idea of the small posse along LOTOW lines, but it seems to me to have FFL allies and auxiliaries you are really talking about something along the lines of Alamo. But that requires more figures and more painting. I am anxiously awaiting you working this out because I can’t.

    ReplyDelete