Monday, February 27, 2012

Chinese Farmstead

So, since my Chinese will be engaged with Pulse of Battle, I'll need some "town sections" that fit ancient China. I am a fan of the town sections that Brent has done (see them here) and thought I'd take a stab at one. Of course, the grand assumption is that PoB will share some DNA with FoB, like "town sections". Brent, good assumption?

Although I have drawn up some ideas, including a farmstead, town and walled town, I chose to begin with the simplest of them: the farmstead. I think I'll make two more farmsteads...one with some more crops and another with some animals.

The below far is a 6" square and has three sides that are "more open" than the fourth side (the side with the buildings). When we play FoB games, the "openness" of a given town section's facing has more/less effect (for example, shooting from an "open" face is Down-1, while shooting from a "less open" face is Down-2). In my estimation, a farm is more open than a town or hamlet and my section reflects that.

The buildings are wooden blocks. The tile roof is plastic roofing from the train store. The "thatch" roof is cardboard cut with a special scissors and layered. I am not sure how much I like or dislike it. I suppose it was a good experiment. If I hate it later, I can rip it off and go with teddy bear fur. The crops are tiny paper roses from the fabric store.

Oh, I cranked out the last two of the Curtey's commanders too.

Ready to Command

Farmstead: Front

Farmstead:Rear/Side

Farmstead:Rear/Side

The Warlord uses the farm as his headquarters

The Warlord uses the farm as his headquarters

2 comments:

  1. Very nice work Tony. What did you use for the roof tiles?

    Greg C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, for the tiled roof, I have some "store-bought" sheets of tile that can be cut to need. For the "thatch" roof, I layered cardboard that I but with a special scissors. Not sure if I like it, but it was worth a try!

    ReplyDelete